President Obama's Jobs Council, the "Council on Jobs and Competitiveness" formed in January, 2011, is shutting down on Thursday, the White House citing progress on issues. Exactly what did they accomplish?
As reported by the Associated Press, when the 26-member council was formed, "unemployment was hovering above 9 percent. Two years later, more than 12 million people in the U.S. are out of work..." This week, it was unexpectedly reported by the Commerce Department that the U.S. economy shrank at an annual rate of 0.1 percent, "the first quarterly drop since 2009." The Federal Reserve said the economy appears to have "paused in recent months." White House Press Secretary Jay Carney and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi laughably blamed Republicans.
The jobs council, chaired by Job Czar and General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt, was "composed of prominent business leaders and economists" who did not always agree with the President, who was criticized for not meeting with the council. The trouble did not stop there, as the President's BFF, Richard Trumpka, was also quite critical of the council. Citing "Occupy" language, he declared in part, "Our country has become dominated by the interests of the wealthiest 1% at the expense of the remaining 99%," and lamented that more stimulus was not a part of the findings of the council. Responding to why Obama did not meet with the council, Jay Carney said the President has "obviously got a lot on his plate." Immelt said that "progress has been made on implementing 90 percent of the council's recommendations."
Despite his rhetoric as a Senator under President George W. Bush, the President does not seem to make the economy a priority. Instead, the focus on issues such as gay marriage, gun-control, man-made climate change and immigration reform take precedence. Losing the Council on Jobs and Competitiveness is no big loss; and is actually a gain to the taxpayers who were funding the venture.
Photo Source: NRCC